Tuesday, May 15, 2007

ROMANCE

‘Perhaps I’d have accepted him’ she said in deep voice looking down to avoid eye contact, pushed me aside & vanished in the crowd & I remained froze on the spot. She was consecutive winner of our Miss College contest for five years & my friend her classmate was mad after her. Just to get her glimpse he’d go to any stretch. Just longing for her he’d literally cry if she doesn’t turn up to college that day. ‘You are wasting away, why don’t you go & just propose her’, I advised him every time I saw him longing for her as alcoholic would do at the sight of any bottle, not necessarily only of liquor. ‘You are fool, you don’t know, if she refuses’ he’d shot back & my answer would be, ‘excellent, once she refused you these shit things, your yearning for her will end at once for god sake’. But the fellow never yielded. On their last day at college before the annual exams we juniors bade them farewell. I took the chance to get her to the corner & asked her about her feelings towards him narrating his love for her. ‘Had he proposed you?’ & her answer literally froze me. But it was too late, her father was transferred to another city & she was to get married soon too. I’d then seen a heart break for not speaking out.

But all are not unlucky like this friend of mine. Another category is rather abundant in the college campus during our time. One of our friends would have betted & wined even Vasco-the-Gama on his constant heroic endeavors. He would always sport black eye or red chick since he never held himself back on proposing girls he thinks love-worthy. Every morning & evening he’d do so at the drop of a hat & come back with his reward on his face. His constant swollen red face would remind me of Phantom leaving his famous ring mark of skeleton on the jaws of his victim.

On the contrary my case was rather tragic. Like an idiot I followed a good looking girl who was rather inviting till her home not knowing it was. She frisked inside & I kept waiting for her outside. Within two minutes a guy came out three times heavier than me & well built with a cricket bat in his hand. First thing he did was, he smashed his bat on my forehead without saying a word to me & I experienced pitch dark under the red hot sun during clear day light. Later when I opened my eyes I was laying on the milky white hospital bed with beautiful nurse leaning on me dressing my forehead wound. She was definitely great looking than the girl I was following. ‘He was her brother who smashed you down with a single stroke of bat’ my friends who gathered to see me added to my already vast pool of general knowledge.

Knowing girls’ date of birth, address, her likings, more about the girls’ family especially about her sister & hard hitting brother if any. Such information used to be considered as the precious information & could be exchanged at appropriate cost depending upon girls’ face value. Say a small treat at college canteen to a nice dinner at some nice hotel along with first day second show film of Amitabh Bachchan with Rekha. Some of us have even changed college & joined the college the girl had joined, many a times even the specialization only to get her see. Writing letters disclosing real name or keeping anonymity, whistling etc. used to be the regular arsenals in our stock. But none of us could ever convince any girl to fall in love with any of us.

We used to fantasize about the most beautiful girl in our class while longing for her. Dreaming that one day she’d be standing at zebra crossing to cross the road with one hand holding a torn cotton bag full of grocery & vegetable, a kid in her arm, one holding her finger, hairs not well kept & wearing just ordinary sari. At the same time one of us, say myself stopping by her halting my fresh new car with screeching tyre sound, roll down the glasses & offer her lift along with her kids & baggage of grocery & vegetables. She’d initially refuse but then sit inside thinking of saving money otherwise she’d spend on auto-rickshaw or city-bus. While traveling looking at me she’d definitely repent on not accepting my proposal that time now undergoing hardship. But later coincidently I came to know that the same girl married to some heart surgeon who owns Mercedes-Benz C Class. And I got anxious of not being spotted by known eyes at some zebra crossing pushing my broke down Bajaj Super scooter with hefty bag weighing ten Kgs plus sporting my pharmaceutical company logo onto it & she’d come in gliding her black Mercedes-Benz C Class offer me lift. She’d definitely look at me while traveling thinking she took just right decision then.

Like all others me too married in due course of time. ‘Thank God I married to my wife, otherwise what would have happened to me?’ my rather demanding, genius & successful friend quipped of late during our small business gathering. The same type of emotions I heard from all those Romeos during our college time including me.

I hear my emotions from deep within when I’m just broke, fed up with the mundane world or smooching the heaven of happiness, feel great of myself my wife is just besides me every time. I just can’t think of me without her.

By
Vijay Yelmelwar

No comments: