Friday, March 30, 2007

PHONE & CONNECTIVITY

And in just seven thousand eight hundred fifty & paisa seventy only I enjoyed the happiness of remaining connected for whole of the month. That too, when I’d been to the mobile company office they asked me to drop the cheque in the drop box & drop again next month for dropping the cheque in the drop box. It sent the sense of satisfaction from top to toe for many many reasons. First of all, the girl who talked to me was having more concern of showing off her own short revealing cloths than to the customer like me. Why on earth the government runs Telephone Company could not have thought of this before? Well, they must have thought of, yet, due to delays a word comes before every work done in the dictionary. And obviously the good looking cute teen aged girls get interviewed & by the time they join the job they themselves have mothered two – three good looking cute teen aged girls.

Secondly, there were no queues & the stamped receipts too. So no patiently waiting which I read in the night-news paper that, seventy three telephone customers became saints in the last three months as they got to wait patiently for getting connection, getting patiently their dead phone repaired, getting patiently stranded in the queue for the bill payment etc. They shortly realized, it would be better to worship the god he wouldn’t take so long to bless their wish. They in the end became saints, for ease in calling I named them telephone-saints.

Thirdly their office was so plush that, I felt staying there for little more. As it was drying hot outside, I enjoyed the machine chilled breeze for a while such luxury was just impossible there in the government office.

Fourthly, fifthly… Well, there are so many reasons for getting hooked to mobile the biggest however is getting connected all the times. Till ‘why the hell you got to remain connected all the time? Are you a slave that the master must know about you & is afraid of him loosing you out?’ one of my fathers’ old friends yelled me mocking at the all so valuable mobile phones. He was indeed old fashioned old man, just aloof of the developments in the telecom. He lived in an era when people would just depend on others & visit them as per appointments. How on earth he’d understand the importance of time? Now I call to take the appointment, then call to reaffirm the same, then call to inform that I’ve started from my place, then call to inform about traffic congestion & forgive for 3 minutes delay, then call to inform that I’ve reached & just parking my vehicle, then visiting washroom. I just don’t understand how these oldies could take others for ride?

Earlier people would phone to confirm about reaching destination safely. Now, thanks to mobile phone I can narrate the entire travel of ten hours in just two hours & make the listener feel actual journey, how convenient. There is less dependence also, we had just one phone & that to poor land which would go dead during heavy rains; at my friend’s aunt’s neighbor’s phone would go dead during heavy cold & during summer too I heard. How terrible life was then. Now how easy it is, I’ve two phones one CDMA technology one of GSM, wife carries just single one, brothers have two each, their wives have one each, at home I’ve one as a precaution if there is problem with the land line. My mother though she goes to temple in the evening she has one, my 5th standard son is after me to buy one for him & I’m also thinking seriously what would happen if there is delay in school or like that he must have one. Problem is he hasn’t made up his mind so far on the colour & make of phone.

Life is just too simple now than before due to these mobile phones. We remained live for just three thousand three hundred rupees as our whole family’s expenditure on grocery, milk etc. Whilst I remained connected just for Rs. seven thousand eight hundred fifty & paisa seventy only this is my mobile bill, rest bills of other a dozen mobile I’ve not considered. Well, just hold on, I’d better call them up & know their bill too.

Really how easy it has become?

By

Vijay Yelmelwar

No comments: