Friday, March 30, 2007

SALARY

It wasn’t the normal week for me. As during the whole week I wasn’t caught by the mighty police on the streets the caretaker of the traffic. There is something basically wrong with my face itself I came to the conclusion of. Whatever vehicle I may be driving at whatever speed I’d be caught. Either at any of the signals even if I’m two feet behind the zebra crossing police will pull me aside. If my luck favors me, then I may not be asked to come out of the signal or when police try to fish the traffic by blocking the traffic on some stretch road I’d be soft pray to be caught.

Now I’ve got used to what to pull out of my wallet in what order. Its driving license first then RC/TC book, Insurance papers, PUC etc. etc. even if all the documents are in order they’d insist on checking tyre pressure. But I think it must be really tough for them to brake the ice with the motorist as when to start with the money matters. As my valuable experience is of any sense, then trust me, many of them do not just ask for the bribe, you should understand their body language. You are if blessed with average intelligence, you’d promptly pull the wallet out & make it little thin.

Well, there is what is called as experience comes handy. When to dole out five, ten, twenty, fifty or hundred rupees bill is by sheer experience you’d learn. After all, practice makes men perfect & I’ve been doling these crisp notes since my childhood. Earlier when I was young & the RTO hadn’t issued me any driving license, I’d take shelter or to be rather specific hide myself behind any truck, bus or big vehicle at the signal or whenever I find anybody clad in khaki uniform. Since then I realized golden rule of trafficking, keep lower denomination notes in the upper pocket or in wallet & real money in hidden pocket or if possible do not carry more than fifty bucks while driving two wheeler in the city. My still clever friend (clever readers would understand I thought of myself as clever) taught me that keep only five with you & do not keep any original papers with the vehicle keep photocopies. But as I was clever since childhood, managed to get duplicate driving license & got colour photocopies of them. Now, I’d just hand over my driving license to the cop halting me on the way & brisk away. After all, what do I supposed to do if, I’ve to keep distributing driving license at the rate of three a week. Getting colour photocopies has become my part of business. I heard, my friends visit shops buy grocery, vegetables along with their wives; I take my wife to photocopier. He has become my fast friend since then. I’m thinking seriously of entering into yearly contract with him for bulk photocopying the license.

To keep things clear, what a man can do in the salary of just five thousand five hundred fifty five a month? How can he get his son & a daughter admitted into the convent school & take care of their expenses? Buy sari worth four figures for his wife? Buy a flat, a car in the name of brother in law? Maintain two mobile phones of five figures each to track the fish & collect his cut from his collogue at next fishing spot? Have half a lakh rupees bike, to show how he manages in the salary itself, fill it with the ever rising priced petrol for the government purpose? How? How to manage?

Lastly the maibap government listened their grievances & many those blue pant & white shirt clad guys with harshly whistling whistles in their lips joined to help the constables standing twelve to fifteen hours at the road & at the signals are visible now a day. These assistants are, as I learnt, do not get any salary. They just ‘help manage’ their bosses. As pump the whistle as loud as possible & stop the speeding or running vehicle, collect papers from the driver, help collection or inform their bosses to help them turn blind eye on the accidents, speeding vehicles of local bhai, unruly rickshaw drivers squeezing out passengers etc. etc. At the end of the day the constables then pay hundred to two hundred rupees to their new assistants for having helped them whole day. So tell me what a poor constable can do in the meager salary of five …?

Of late I read in the news papers that the government is thinking of hiking their salaries. I’d sincerely appeal to the government, that please for the sake of the people of the country do not take such a drastic step against the police. The government has no right to demean their police force. How can the politicians who run the government can think the police are any way inferior to them? On the contrary I’d suggest, if my suggestions interest them as public interest is always taken in high sprit; do not at all pay them. Rather charge them for serving, more the no. stars onto their shoulders, higher the charges should be. Say, an inspector be charged with five thousand rupees per month to the commissioner with fifty thousands rupees per month like that. Of course, this is very rough estimate. Government can fine tune the structure in better way.

Thus I’d again ask you, what a poor constable can do in the meager salary of five …?

By
Vijay Yelmelwar

No comments: