Sunday, April 8, 2007

INVESTING IN STOCK MARKET

‘There are three ways you can invest in stock market’, man in perfect formal in front of the big computer screen was steering his auto loaded cassette through his tongue with polished & meticulously chosen words. ‘You buy a good stock & keep invested, ride on tips for medium periods & buy certain stocks or their derivatives & try your luck, do intra-day as well’. He spoke a lot on F & O, call, put, hedging, liquidity, technical analysis etc. etc. I got familiar with grades of stocks like A to Z & many more, their face value etc. But by the time I knew their meanings up to certain extent I resolved to bid farewell to stock market as one of my friends at the bolt rightly said, ‘futures has ruined our future’. Bolt they say is the rightly chosen word for it, it is bolt indeed.

As one never knows when he slips into medium term investor from his regular long term investing virtue & when to intra-day gambling. Stock market is just behaves like a cat, absolutely uncertain, looks gorgeous, small & mewing into your legs candidly till you takes it up in your hands only to cuddle & not to feed. It’d leave a scar on your face with its not so delicate claws. If somebody has left his spectacles at home & mistakes lion for cat then he has it. Even I’ve left my spectacles few times at home yet I’m not so myopic but got a scar as I’d mistaken Ocelot for domestic cat & once I took a cub into my hands. From then onwards even at my home I’ve taken due care to keep the home cat free as the mosquito netted door & window are automatically serving the purpose.

My earner friend from the stock market, a rare breed of Homo sapiens, has even made a lot of money in last ten thousand sensex scam of stock market & his uncle suffered paralysis attack that stays below him in the same building. I’m tough bodied otherwise how could I digest & assimilate IVRCL, Titan, IDBI, India Cement… You sometimes love to forget all those ailments which once took you to the brink of hospitalization, few will still strongly love to forget their such ailments which had taken them to the brink of death.

Few things I’ve no answer for, it is shame to ask for doubts in the stock market since either all are shameless or everybody is drowned in doubt. During colossal rains more than half of capital was below water, stocks were yet soaring. Sneezing PM or even FM sends shiver to the spine of stock market otherwise. Even the best of quarterly results of bigwigs of stock market as Infosys, RIL, TCS, SBI etc. market slides on their result day. Market goes on correction mode who decides that? Shit stocks over subscribe to 90 to 100 times & the gold mines bite dust on their IPO adventure. Who gets that inside information or ‘call’ & who decides that is inside or true. Why all those Pundits don’t hide their faces on getting their calculation one plus one is not eleven but two? What decides to buy or sale?

Being a experienced looser in stock market I’ve few tips for aspiring losers. Thou shall not short if the market seems sliding down, as you’d be last one to short since from that point market will come in bullish mode. Thou shall not long if the market seems zooming up, as you’d be last one to long since from that point market will slide down as a brake failed car would from the top of mountain. Thou shall not sale considering it was the best sale, same day within half an hour the stock you’ve sold will kiss the upper circuit. Thou shall not buy considering it was the nadir of that scrip, same day it will crash like glass vase hitting lower circuit twice in the same day.

There are other devils I mean derivatives too to taste your courage. Buying or selling a future may suggestive to bid farewell to your future. Buy or sale put or call by last Thursday of that month will make you drink like fish even it were your fasting day of the week. Well all is not that bad at the bolt; millions are blown at a click of mouse. Here only mouse outwits cat.

Of late on learning the strength of cat & mouse in the game of bull & bear I realized it is fun of cannibalism. You just can’t win & stay away neither loses & stays away. I remember then the word of investment.

Now a days I’m keeping quiet, otherwise too I can’t do anything. Brooding on those scrap stock to bounce up, I once bought them for quick gains. I & one of my friends who is equally loser I mean adventurer in stock market have solved a million dollar question. Staying away from buying, selling, intra-day, futures & options has saved us lot of money since betting money oops getting money from stock market is losing money.

Well, well I’m not professing doom. But good stock at any price you feel right, sale them at any price you feel right. Period between buy & sale is immaterial if the difference is gain.

By

Vijay Yelmelwar

No comments: