Tuesday, April 3, 2007

RIDING A BULLET

Bullet, how one can ignore it on the road? See it’s raw built; it’s cherishing charismatic firing, its powerful 350 cc robust engine & its terrific grip. Bullet has been my dream bike since childhood.

Well, my journey from bicycle to bullet wasn’t smooth. I had my share of blood, bandages, scars; fractures while riding two wheelers & also while others riding theirs too. Yet, fun in riding bullet has never changed. It must be given due regard you can not take the bullet for granted. Even the manufacturers must have realized it otherwise how can they try to reduce its weight? Not only weight, they have changed its break paddle to right, gear paddle to left, push button start, introduced electronic ignition etc. etc. I didn’t like any of these. I just like the old & regular standard model of bullet. Bullet is bullet; it must be different from other ponies on the road. How can you ride non black bullet with its humble firing, less weight, right side brake paddle, push button start, you are demeaning Rottweiler to Pomeranian.

Few misers have apprehension on its low average, so what? You get to ride bullet; better take bicycle & start paddling otherwise. Long back I’d observe keenly when our neighbor would wash his bullet every Sunday. He used to wash bullet so carefully that I always doubted whether he takes baths so keenly. He was coal dark in complexion, sweating in winter even, with stinking if you reach within distance of a foot from him. He’d take moist soft cloth to wipe off the remaining water from bullets’ body & rub with polishing wax to polish it. Even the spokes would be shined. He’d then push the kick lovingly with adjusting the compressor & give a little hard kick igniting life into the monster. Then ask me to sit back & we’d then ride the giant for some time through the potholed roads with great ease. I’d feel like wondering into the heaven then. He asked me to try it once which I immediately accepted, learnt the trick to start & tame the huge one & glided on the road. Once being careless & while trying to show off I took sharp turn putting right leg on the ground. It took a month to bring back my right leg to normal shape from its swelling which caused during due to jerk of the hundred & seventy kg bullet. You can not undermine bullet.

There are other small small small & still small motor cycles too zooming on the road. They are painted in various colours few even in double & in triple colour combination. But, if you ask me they are just weak transporting machine their sporty look & eye catching colour has been tried to supplement the power. But, I am never amused with such powerless ponies any way. Well, they boast of the average, low price but who cares after all? Even a toddler can kick its paddle, start it, ride it with ease zoom through the narrow lanes full of potholes. But I never liked it.

Look, if life is journey one must enjoy it while journeying, isn’t that right? Why on earth one shouldn’t enjoy riding bullet. There are still mightier, heavier & bigger driving machines around. But you see, I may not afford or they are not easily available, repairable. If all goes well, I may go for 1200 cc Harley Davidson one day.

Cars apart my dame now a days is my bullet 350 cc.

By
Vijay Yelmelwar

No comments: